Nearly 300 students of Buipe Senior High School have been asked to go home after they lost all their personal belongings in a fire that burnt down their dormitory, Monday, February 3, 2020.
Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Ghana Education Service (GES) in the Savannah region, Kanzoni Donald, in a release said the decision has become necessary because both students and the school have lost almost all academic and personal items.
Although the cause of the fire is not readily known, it allegedly started from the girls’ dormitory around 7am Monday while students were in class and burnt down the structure.
JoyNews’ correspondent, Isaac Nongya, reports that unlike the recent fire outbreak at the Bulk Oil Storage and Transport company’s truck parking lodge that was put out by personnel from the Damongo Fire Station, there was no such intervention this time around resulting in the extensive damage.
Authorities say students could have salvaged some of their property but the fire could not be controlled in time because of the Ghana National Fire Service’s delay in reaching the site.
They attribute it to the breakdown of the fire tender in the community.
None of the students sustained any injury.
See more photos below: