Gunfire broke out following a scuffle at the stadium Sunday during the Premier League game between Kumasi Asante Kotoko and Berekum Chelsea.
Fans of the Porcupine Warriors,were reportedly up in arms over a decision by the referee, which resulted in Kotoko’s defender Ampem Dacosta being sent off.
Images and footages circulating on social media saw some angry fans pelting stones and other projectiles at the police who were deployed to maintain law and order.
One person is said to be in critical condition as he battles for his life at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital.
“The GFA Executive Council at its meeting on Monday, January 13, 2020, decided to trigger the provision of Article 14(2) of the GFA Premier League Regulations.
“Article 14 (2) of the GFA Premier League Regulations states that: “The GFA may order the closure of any league centre/venue where the safety of clubs, match officials and/or spectators cannot be guaranteed.”
“The GFA Prosecutor shall prefer charges against any person/party found to have breached any provision of the GFA Regulations or Disciplinary Code,” the football powerhouse said in a statement on its website.
Some vehicles belonging to the Ghana Police Service were also badly damaged as other officers sustained various degrees of injuries in the ensuing melee.
The Ashanti Regional Police Command, however, says investigations have begun into the incident.
“The Command takes a serious view of the incident and has subsequently commenced investigation into the action of the Police Officer involved in the shooting”, a statement signed by Director of Public Affairs at the Command ASP Godwin Ahianyo read.
The statement further indicated, “The officer has been interdicted on the instruction of the Regional Commander, pending investigation”.
The police is also appealing to the general public to provide the service with information to bring closure to the matter.
See full statement below
SHOOTING INCIDENT AT THE BABA YARA SPORTS STADIUM
- The Ashanti Regional Police Command has commenced investigation into the unfortunate shooting incident at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium that left one person injured on Sunday 12th January, 2020.
- The incident occurred when supporters of Kumasi Asante Kotoko FC went on rampage after their league match against Brekum Chelsea FC at the Stadium, damaging some Police Vehicles and injuring some Police Officers with stones that were pelted at the Police.
- It was during this period that a Police Officer was alleged to have shot rubber bullets into the crowd, injuring one of the Fans in the face. The injured person is currently on admission at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital receiving treatment and is in stable condition.
- The Command takes a serious view of the incident and has subsequently commenced investigation into the action of the Police Officer involved in the shooting. The officer has been interdicted on the instruction of the Regional Commander, pending investigation.
- The Command will also like to reiterate its position on the need for professionalism of all persons involved in ensuring the safety of persons at public events, especially at the Stadium
- The Command sympathizes with the injured person’s family and wish the injured a speedy recovery.
- Any person who has information, pictures or videos on the incident should send it to the following number 0244288019 with same to assist with our investigation.
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE
Public Relations Officer
Source:brightwebtv.com/nana asare barimah